Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy
The success of Jacobs Massey Ltd (Jacobs Massey) depends on our people. We are committed to valuing diversity and promoting equality for everyone that Jacobs Massey employs or work with. We recognise the varied contributions that a diverse workforce brings to our organisation and we are committed to drawing on their different experiences of individuals which will add value to the way we operate.
The aim of the policy is to ensure that all job applicants and employees receive fair treatment regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, race, national origin, disability, age, trade union membership, religion, work location and working hours. We do this not only by adhering to all equal opportunities legislation but by ensuring that we are fair, objective, transparent and free from discrimination in all of our systems, processes, procedures, activities and decisions. Unlawful discrimination will not be tolerated.
Jacobs Massey aims to recruit, retain and develop workers based on merit, competence and potential. We are committed to promoting a positive work environment for our employees and ensuring employees are given every opportunity to fulfil their potential. Jacobs Massey provides all our recruitment services, for both clients and candidates, within an equal opportunities environment. We are committed to taking positive action in order to promote such equality of opportunity and our recruitment procedures are based on the requirements of the job. Appointments are always made on the basis of merit and we encourage applications from all members of the AV community.
This policy applies to all employees, agency workers and visitors to the Standards Board. The success of an Equal Opportunities Policy will involve the commitment and support of all managers and employees alike.
The Directors, as diversity champions have overall responsibility for ensuring the correct application and implementation of this policy.
All managers have a responsibility to:
- Ensure the non-discriminatory treatment of all job applicants and employees and promote equality of opportunity.
- Identify and remove discriminatory attitudes and practices within the organisation.
- Raise the level of employee awareness of the policy’s existence.
- Deal fairly and speedily with any discriminatory issue raised in the course of employment.
- Support and contribute to the monitoring and review process.
All employees and freelancers have a responsibility to:
- Support this vision and continue to ensure that the principles of equal opportunities and diversity in the workplace are upheld.
- Treat colleagues and stakeholders with dignity and respect.
- Have regard to equal opportunities in all their work and the decisions they make.
- Promote diversity in the workplace.
Equal Opportunities and Diversity Officer
Graeme Massey is the Jacobs Massey Equal Opportunities officer. He can be contacted on the above number.
Should an issue arise regarding the treatment of employees or freelancers this should be brought to his attention as soon as reasonably practicable. If this issue arises whilst a Freelancer is “on-site” the matter should be first raised with the local manger and then notified to Jacobs Massey.
Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy
1.1. Jacobs Massey embraces diversity and will seek to promote the benefits of diversity in all of our business activities. We will seek to develop a business culture that reflects that belief. We will seek to widen the media in which we recruit to ensure as diverse an employee and candidate base as possible. We will strive to make sure that our clients meet their own diversity targets.
1.2. Jacobs Massey is committed to diversity and will promote diversity for all employees, workers and applicants and shall adhere to such a policy at all times. We will review on an on-going basis all aspects of recruitment to avoid unlawful or undesirable discrimination. Jacobs Massey will treat everyone equally irrespective of sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, age, disability, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, political beliefs or membership or non-membership of a Trade Union or spent convictions, and places an obligation upon all staff to respect and act in accordance with the policy. Jacobs Massey is committed to providing training for its entire staff in equal opportunities practice.
1.3. Jacobs Massey shall not discriminate unlawfully when deciding which candidate/temporary worker is submitted for a vacancy or assignment, or in any terms of employment or terms of engagement for temporary workers. Jacobs Massey will ensure that each candidate is assessed only in accordance with the candidate’s merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required by the particular vacancy.
1.4. Jacobs Massey will not accept instructions from clients that indicate an intention to discriminate unlawfully.
2. Complaints and Monitoring Procedures
2.1. Jacobs Massey has in place procedures for monitoring compliance with this policy and for dealing with complaints of discrimination. If you find a problem or need to lodge a complaint, please contact Graeme Massey Managing Director and it will be dealt with immediately.
2.2. Any discrimination complaint will be investigated fully and promptly.
3. Managing Diversity
Jacobs Massey is committed to improving the diversity of its workforce and will seek to adopt employment practices that ensure diversity and a flexible approach including positive action which serve to support this objective. This Policy and the approach we take to implementing it, has been designed to ensure that the concept of equal access is integral to the planning and performance of all Jacobs Massey’s activities.
To effectively implement this policy, Jacobs Massey will take steps to ensure that:
- Through our policies, procedures and systems, job applicants or employees will be treated in accordance with this policy and other related policies.
- Any employment requirements or conditions will be justifiable and reasonable.
- All employment policies, procedures and practices, including this one, will be reviewed and impact-assessed regularly to ensure that they are, and remain, non-discriminatory.
- All managers and others involved in the implementation of the organisation’s employment policies will receive appropriate training including diversity, recruitment and selection, performance management etc.
- Reasonable adjustments will be made in the workplace to help people with disabilities achieve their full potential.
- Employees will receive training during induction and at other appropriate times during their employment to ensure awareness and understanding of this policy and diversity in general.
- Statistics on under-represented groups will be recorded and reported to the Board and senior management team to ensure that the makeup of the workforce is monitored and remedial actions identified.
- A diverse workplace is promoted and celebrated through our policies and how we operate.
This Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy will be reviewed each year, unless new legislation is introduced that needs to be reflected in the policy.